Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Living in Books

At work today a library patron mentioned her anticipation about a certain novel, "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. I remarked about the size of it...the number of pages, it is just a hugely long book. She went on to say that she loved that!

"When a good well written long novel ends .." it made her sad, she "lived with those characters."

I thought this was amazing. Lovely. I completely agree. I still am daunted by 1,039,808 paged books (exaggeration) but I too love that connection that comes with characters, with their world.

How often I pick up a book and am enthralled.

When I finish a good book, I am sadden by the end of the journey. I often long for an author to pick up a new novel with former characters from a previous novel. Think of how the release of the last "Harry Potter" book effected it's followers. (The books are a million times better than the movies...but that is another blog post.)

I too feel such a connection to the characters & to their world...I wonder if there is a technical term for this feeling? This phenomenon? Yes, phenomenon. The deep connections that readers have with their favorite, or even just much enjoyed novels, is something amazing. What an awful aawful world we would live in without that spectacle.

How do you feel when you finish a book?

stars&lyrics,

readinglady

No comments:

Post a Comment